The Blog


The UK’s drone rules are based on the risk of the flight – where you fly, the proximity to other people, and the size and weight of your drone.

The rules don’t apply if you are flying indoors. Flights within buildings, or within areas where there is no possibility for the drone to escape into the open air (such as a closed netted structure) are not subject to aviation legislation.

The main rules and advice are covered in our Drone and Model Aircraft Code

Key rules include:

  • Never fly more than 120m (400ft) above the surface
  • Always keep your drone or model aircraft in sight
  • Never fly in an airport’s flight restriction zone unless you have permission

Registration and flyer ID

If your drone has a camera (unless it is a toy) or weighs 250g or more then you need to register with the CAA. You need to renew this registration every year. This is a registration of you as the operator rather than the drone itself.

Anyone flying a drone weighing 250g or more needs to pass a test and get a flyer ID from the CAA. This is free and online. Regardless of whether you legally need a flyer ID we strongly recommend that you do the learning and test as it gives you valuable information on flying your drone safely. If you already have a flyer ID that is still valid, you don’t need to re-do the test until it expires, although you are required to keep up to date with the new regulations. You can register, get your flyer ID and find more information at

If you’re not able to use the online service, you can call 0330 022 9930, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.


Wherever you fly your drone, consider the privacy of others. Our Drone and Model Aircraft code offers advice

Drone rules

The drone rules are based on risk and divided into three categories: Open, Specific, and Certified.

The Open category is intended for low-risk drone flights, for example because you are flying a lightweight drone or operating in the countryside.

(Members of a recognised UK model flying associations (BMFA, SAA, LMA & FPVUK) will be operating under the terms of a specific authorisation and should confirm details with their association.)

The Specific category is for higher risk flights such as flying a heavier drone over an urban area. To be allowed to fly in this category you will need an operating approval.

The Certified category is for large drones which have to meet specific safety certifications along the lines of aircraft.